Friday, July 24, 2009

Double Fisting the Dating Scene (maybe I need to re-word that)

Last week without much to do I signed up for EHarmony making me now a two-fer wanna be internet dater. For weeks friends told me to join eHarmony, people whom I respected and admired, people who’d found not only boyfriends but husbands begged me to join eHarmony, but yet I refused. I had been burned before by ol’ eHarmony and I wasn’t about to poor more money into their scheme. No I was sticking with my pathetic 3 month Match.com membership and that was that. Then the Today Show jumped onto the bandwagon and demanded that I join eHarmony. They practically reached through my 8” 1981 color TV, grabbed me by the collar and insisted that I join eHarmony not only because I was dateless but because their membership had jumped 20% since the recession. Hmmm this did seem like good news but I still was not convinced enough to break out the Visa card. The last straw came in the form of an email, the fates finally put the beat down on me by delivering an eHarmony discount code directly to my inbox – I was hooked. Fine, FINE, just get off my back “voice from the unknown” I’ll join eHarmony.

So here I am 1.5 weeks into my eHarmony experience, a little weary from structuring endless witty responses to dreary questions BUT I have a date. Yes, David from the Upper East Side (Jew, maybe?) is taking me out on Monday night for an actual face to face interaction. He seems pleasant, kinda gets my humor, maybe a bit reserved (but that’s OK) and appears to be engaged and attentive (both very good traits). So we’ll see how this goes, if nothing else I will at least score a free Tom Collins and get to wear my new gladiator inspired strappy wedge sandals.

In addition to my good luck with EHarmony I finally received a cleaver Match.com email. Short but witty (the email, not the guy) however it’s still too early to tell if this will go someplace or just fizzle out. Stay tuned.

No comments: