Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Refocused Energy

With the weight of the responsibly to my online paid dating subscriptions removed I found myself overflowing with creative juices. Instead of filling my time futilely searching for a date I have been utilizing my newly discovered freedom to rebuild a relationship that I had left to dwindle; the relationship between me and my one bedroom rent stabilized 1929 fourth floor walk up.

Next month marks our 11th anniversary however the blush has faded from the bloom. We’ve been through a lot together, parties, break ins, trysts, and vermin infestation but through it all my rent has only increased 3% each year so it is hard to say adieu to such a bargain. However as I have grown and improved with age (turning 39 in a month – yikes!) my humble abode has been crumbling beneath me. My kitchen, always the bane of my existence, running a close second to my bathroom, has borne the brunt of my absenteeism. The combined issues of my lack of culinary skills and the fact that the darken interiors of some of my cabinets frighten me so that I have never opened them has kept me removed from tackling this epic eyesore.

Last week however armed with a steadfast passion to reignite my habitat lustfest I hit the The Container Store, The Home Depot, Marshalls, TJMaxx, Target, and JC Penny. Oh sweet home improvement tasks I have missed you so. The living room scored with a new rug, seat cushions, drapes and curtain rod. I even replaced the poorly worn pull cords on my sea grass roller shade, framed several of my photographs, and set some useless furniture pieces into the stairwell for “adoption”. The hallway and bedroom received new art as well, while the bathroom got a spa like makeover. White rugs and shower curtains with white wooden louvered blinds, ahhhh. But the true fruit of my week’s worth of hard labor can be found in my homey retro kitchen. Love has blossomed again, now all I need is somebody to whip up a stack of fluffy blueberry pancakes and my fantasy will be complete.

As a side dish to my ‘nesting’ achievements I have also scored a full week’s worth of testosterone infused entertainment. Once I allowed my subscriptions to slink off into the ether my calendar quickly filled with lunch, dinner, and ‘other’ social engagements. True these are not ‘dates’ for this troop of men consists of old friends who are neither straight nor single however, even though they are not “mine” it’s still a nice way to spend a week.

No comments: