Monday, September 21, 2009

Happy Anniversary No Slaw!

One year ago this month Swason suggested that I create a blog to aid in purging all the crap that was building up over my nonexistent teaching career and to document my period of reinvention. Reflecting back on the past 12 months it is amazing the amount of change that has occurred and even more amazing that I have emerged from the other side victorious!

12 months ago with the economy crashing around me I was temping as a receptionist for $12/hr. at a graphics firm with a small glimmer of hope of a full time gig as an office manager at an agency that seemed a bit dodgy. I didn’t have a plan, well unless you call not being evicted and forced to live in my Mother’s basement while scraping together pennies to repay my Grad School Loan a plan (side bar – I still haven’t returned to CUNY Hunter to pick up my diploma). On Sept 22nd 2008 my greatest achievement was discovering the office’s flavored coffee stash and uncovering the NYC underworld of free haircutting services – since I was too broke to actually PAY for a licensed tonsorial artist. Now one year later that life sucking office manager job vanished along with the DOW, my dearest friend left town (drowning me in a wake of emotional turmoil and a dump truck load of drama), I temped some more, then landed what I truly believe to be one of the sweetest jobs in town. It’s been traumatic and dramatic, soul searching and challenging but oddly enough it has all worked out, even without a major plan.

Thanks 2008-2009 for kicking my ass, breaking me down, bringing me to ecstasy then pulling the rug out from under me only to ignite my fervor once more till I proved triumphant over the setbacks and disappointments. Here’s to the next 12 months…. Bring it fates I am ready for ya!

Here’s a quick shout out to my first post:
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
I think I shall begin by posting a sampling of a lyric that best represents my current state of mind:

What will this day be like? I wonder.
What will my future be?
I wonder.
All I trust I give my heart to
All I trust becomes my own
I have confidence in confidence alone!
Besides which you see I have confidence in me!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: