Monday, August 10, 2009

The Love Shack

My weekend was filled with so much love and laughs that I feel like I have sunshine seeping out of my pours. I’m energized and filled with glee for my weekend away in NJ was undeniably a cure for many of my recent ills.

Friday night after a few drinks and a bus ride out to New Jersey JGB and I arrived in her wooden enclave of A Frame homes originally built to house vacationers but now repurposed for young families and senior citizens. Cheffie greeted us at the door along with the GB’s eldest who was a bit shy at first but warmed up quickly. The other two junior GB’s were fast asleep but I was promised that our Saturday would be filled with plenty of opportunities to bond over swimming, a living room dance party, and numerous hands of Uno. To my surprise however it turned out that I didn’t need to wait until sun up to meet #2 of the clan. Because of my futon’s proximity to the adult’s quarters I was mistaken for ‘mom’ and received a 4 year old bed warmer during the predawn hours. As not to scar this sleepy nugget for life by informing him that I was NOT his mother I simply slid over, surrendered my pillow, and tucked him in under the blanket. I knew right there that we would be buddies or he would be totally FREAKED out when the light of day filled the room, either way I would be remembered.

Saturday morning. Both folks and kids up early getting ready for a big day of fun, sun, and FOOD. Good lord, staying with a professional chef (who is also one of the sweetest guys ever made) is luxurious. As Cheffie stood at the counter whipping up handmade blueberry pancakes and bacon as easily as if he was pouring out cold cereal, I formally met #2 and #3. #2 was surprisingly resilient after being informed that he had crawled into bed with a relative stranger, however we both had the good manners to not talk about it, and #3 was a ball of 2 year old happiness, like a golden retriever puppy.

After breakfast and with the addition of two nieces in tow, us ladies took the bigger kids to the community pool while Cheffie stayed at home with #3 preparing the Saturday night feast. The pool was basically deserted with the exception of the apathetic teenage lifeguard and 2 ladies who probably wished our Marco Polo championship was being conducted at a lesser decimal level – oh well.

After many hours of aquatic recreation we returned to a home saturated in the aromas of Cheffie’s hard work and feasted like a royal family, but even better since we didn’t need to dress for dinner. The kids were great, even after such a long day out in the sun and the water they were charming and silly. After dinner we had a sing along dance party to all the popular tween Disney Channel tunes of the day- Swason would have known all the words, I however did not, but enjoyed the floor show anyways. Then a few hours later, feeling sleeping and filled with lobster and handmade ice-cream, JGB tucked me into my futon with a kiss on the cheek and hopes of ‘pleasant dreams’ – awww shucks.

Sunday, another fantastic breakfast this time with big fluffy omelets complete with potato pancakes and apple sauce. Of course #2 and I had an Uno battle on the living room floor –the kid is a shark – but with some help from big sister I think I was able to squeak out at least one win. We then spent the remainder of the late morning on a driving tour around their hood and LOUD show tune singing – JGB and I do a mean Annie.

Aboard the bus by early afternoon I made my way back to NYC filled with a cheerfulness that can only come from being surrounded by people (both big and small) who are boundless with their love. Thanks GBers – you all rock!

No comments: